Job Title: Detached Youth Worker
Location: YMCA East London
Shift Pattern: Various hours of work, Including Weekends, Bank Holidays and Evenings
Salary: £11 per hour
Closing Date: When the vacancy is filled
YMCA London South West and YMCA East London have merged. This new organisation which is called YMCA London South West has resulted in a growing presence across South, South West and East London. The Association is part of the affiliated YMCA Christian Movement, offering opportunities to young people and their communities to develop in mind, body and spirit in order to fulfil their potential.
During these exciting times for the association, we are seeking a Detached Youth Worker at YMCA East London. If you have experience in working with young people and available to work at:
- Short notice
- Holiday periods
- Evenings and weekends
This could be an excellent opportunity to enter the service and build on your experience
We are seeking people interested in joining a register to cover short-term work, provide sickness cover and work during school holiday periods.
We are actively recruiting a team of dedicated and enthusiastic experienced Detached Youth Workers as casual workers. You must have experience of working with young people and understanding of the issues that affect them, with a recognised qualification (diploma or above) in social science/science/education/youth work or other related fields.
To support young people between the ages of 11- 21 years ( up to 25 if a vulnerable young adult) to address risk behaviours including substance misuse, crime and anti-social behaviour and remove barriers for young people to engage in mainstream services and provision; to enable young people to achieve their potential and succeed in education, training and employment by undertaking 1:1, group work and structured programmes in a detached youth work setting. Where appropriate, to support parents and carers of young people in partnership with other agencies.
- The post holder will work alongside a range of partnership agencies in order to make contact with young people engaged in anti-social behaviour arising from youth disorder, in areas where this behaviour is identified as a problem.
- To work with young people to co design programmes which meet the needs of local young people and work with a range of interests from the arts to sports.
- The post holder will be expected to be actively involved in working collaboratively across the organisation with other departments and with external YMCAs.
It is essential that the Detached Youth Worker has:
- Recognised qualification (diploma or above) in social science/education/youth work or other related field
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of designing and delivering street based / detached activities or programmes
- Experience of designing and leading sports related programmes
- Candidates must have significant experience of working with young people and families on a one to one basis and in a detached youth work setting in a diverse, multi-cultural inner city area.
- Experience of peer mentoring work
- Experience of delivering effective personal and social development working through group process and disengaged young people.
- Flexible approach as this position includes both face-to-face delivery during evenings and weekends
Benefits of working with us:
- Free use of our health and fitness wellbeing facilities
- 15% staff discount in our restaurant
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- A salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme
- Training and development opportunities
Contributory group pension scheme
YMCA London South West is an equal opportunities employer. We value the importance of diversity and positively welcome applications from all members of the community, including those with disabilities. As a responsible employer, we follow safer recruitment guidelines and will not accept a CV in lieu of a completed application form. The successful candidate will be expected to declare all previous offences and to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
YMCA London South West is a Christian organisation and as an employee you will be required to respect its ethos and uphold its values.
For a full job description and an application pack, please visit our website at: http://www.ymcalsw.org/category/job-opportunities/
Charity No: 104192
The closing date to complete this application is when the vacancy is filled.
Charity No: 104192