People are being encouraged to pledge to make a healthy New Year’s resolution to help towards a healthy nation.
According to the latest government report on Childhood Obesity, ‘Today nearly a third of children aged 2 to 15 are overweight or obese and younger generations are becoming obese at earlier ages and staying obese for longer.’ Furthermore, ‘Obese adults are seven times more likely to become a type 2 diabetic than adults of a healthy weight which may cause blindness or limb amputation. And not only are obese people more likely to get physical health conditions like heart disease, they are also more likely to be living with conditions like depression..’
This is an expensive epidemic with obesity and related health issues costing the NHS an estimated £5.1 billion in 2014/15.
A healthy lifestyle is one of the best ways to tackle the problem of obesity with physical activity and healthy food choices being a great place to start.
At YMCA London South West we believe in helping people to enjoy a full life – and a significant way to do this is to make healthy choices. Physical activity and good nutrition have proven benefits for people’s wellbeing, with positive physical, mental and social implications.
We have lots of activities to offer the community that encourage a healthy lifestyle for all ages and abilities.
There is often a misconception that all physical activity has to be related to sport and competition, but we offer a range of classes and activities that can be enjoyed by all – from those who love high intensity workouts to those who prefer to walk and enjoy gentle exercise.
In support of the National Obesity Awareness week we would like to bring your attention to some of the offers we currently have available to the community:
- Healthy Schools programme
- Creative dance and movement classes
Classes and gyms
- Sports Blast in Mitcham
- Variety of classes at all of our Centres available as PAYG or with a monthly membership
- Gym facilities at a number of our Centres – our New Year offer is half price joining fee
- Hampton Pool
Also free things coming up this month:
- Social Walks from YMCA Wimbledon, YMCA Hawker and YMCA Surbiton
- Free BODYPUMP classes at our gyms on Saturday 14 January to celebrate the 100th release
- Free Walking Tango taster session at YMCA Surbiton on 17 January 2.30pm-4pm