Responsible To: Chef Manager
Work Location: Based at YMCA Hawker, although may be required to work at any YMCA London South West site.
Hours of Work: 30 hours per week, worked on a rota basis, including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Salary: £8.17 per hour
Closing date: 9 March 2018
It is an exciting time to join YMCA St Paul’s group. The YMCA London South West, East London and Slough have recently merged their businesses and a further merger with West London YMCA is planned to complete in April 2018. This new organisation will have a growing presence across London and Slough.
We support vulnerable and homeless young people by providing hostel accommodation, pastoral care and community activities, as well as supported living and affordable move-on housing. We have recently been in the news after the successful innovative development of the Y Cube, a low cost modular home solution. We aim to provide a safe and secure environment where people are respected, heard and valued.
But that’s not all we do. We support children, providing daily activities such as soft play, breakfast clubs, afterschool clubs and holiday play schemes. Our health and wellbeing centres offer people the opportunity to nurture their mind, body and spirit with gyms, group fitness classes and counselling, and we train local volunteers to work with our dedicated staff, as we fully believe in the positive benefits of community participation.
We’re affiliated to YMCA England, our national body, and share its passion to stand up for young people, to speak out on national issues that affect their lives and help them to find confidence in their own voice.
This post is based within the kitchen, which produces high quality food to be served to and sold to the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive deliveries, assist in checking off against orders/delivery notes, pack away in rotating stock order; inform the Chef Manager if any goods are missing or damaged.
- Assist with stock takes on a regular basis.
- Maintain high standards of hygiene in the kitchen area, clean ovens, steamers, floors, cooker hoods, fridge freezer, etc cleaning kitchen utensils and equipment as necessary.
- Keep floors tidy and clean, being aware of slip and trip hazards.
- Inform the Chef Manager as and when cleaning supplies need ordering.
- Clear tables and ensure there is a sufficient supply of clean crockery and cutlery at all times.
- Leave the kitchen in a clean and tidy state, ready for next use.
- Assist the Chef Manager in food preparation as requested.
- Occasionally assist with front of house customer service, as requested.
- Complete daily checklists.
- Attend all relevant departmental meetings as and when required.
- Undertake all duties with regard to the Association’s Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy and other policies and procedures adopted by the Association.
- Respect the Christian ethos of the YMCA and uphold its values.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by line manager.
Scope and Limits of Authority
Limited scope to prioritise tasks in work area. Otherwise work in accordance with kitchen plan and under guidance of the Chef Manager.
YMCA St Paul’s Group is an equal opportunities employer. We value the importance of diversity and positively welcome applications from all members of the community, including those with disabilities. As a responsible employer, we follow safer recruitment guidelines and will not accept a CV in lieu of a completed application form. The successful candidate will be expected to declare all previous offences and to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
YMCA St Paul’s Group is a Christian organisation and as an employee you will be required to respect its ethos and uphold its values.
For a full job description and an application pack, please visit our website at: http://www.ymcalsw.org/category/job-opportunities/
The closing date to complete this application is 9 March 2018
Charity No: 1041923