Job Title: Youth Worker (Part Time)
Location: YMCA East London
Contract: Fixed Term, March 2019 (Possibility of an extension)
Hours of Work: 12 Hours per week
Salary: £12 per hour
Closing Date: When the vacancy is filled
It is an exciting time to join YMCA St Paul’s group. The YMCA London South West, East London and Slough have recently merged their businesses and a further merger with West London YMCA is planned to complete in April 2018. This new organisation will have a growing presence across London and Slough.
We support vulnerable and homeless young people by providing hostel accommodation, pastoral care and community activities, as well as supported living and affordable move-on housing. We have recently been in the news after the successful innovative development of the Y Cube, a low cost modular home solution. We aim to provide a safe and secure environment where people are respected, heard and valued.
But that’s not all we do. We support children, providing daily activities such as soft play, breakfast clubs, afterschool clubs and holiday play schemes. Our health and wellbeing centres offer people the opportunity to nurture their mind, body and spirit with gyms, group fitness classes and counselling, and we train local volunteers to work with our dedicated staff, as we fully believe in the positive benefits of community participation.
We’re affiliated to YMCA England, our national body, and share its passion to stand up for young people, to speak out on national issues that affect their lives and help them to find confidence in their own voice.
During these exciting times for the association, we are seeking a Youth worker at YMCA East London with a sports coaching background, through the delivery of a range of programmes to a designated group of young people, to ensure that they can reach their full potential and enhance their quality of life. The post holder will be responsible for supporting young people to plan, deliver and evaluate a range of youth programmes with a focus on sports.
The two main develop areas will be:
- Sports Leadership Programme
- Support for young people’s health & well-being
The post holder will facilitate /deliver regular basketball and multi sports coaching sessions, engage in all aspects of youth and community work and settings; such as centre based, detached or outreach work, with an emphasis on participation work and new initiatives that lead to sustainability of the service.
In addition the post holder will support the youth offer lead to ensure the smooth running of the youth offer and to contribute to the delivery of evening drop in sessions for young people and help maintain the development and building of youth work at YMCA for 11-21years.
It is essential that the Youth Worker has:
- Recognised qualification (diploma or above) in social science/science/education/youth work or other related field
- Relevant recognised coaching certifications such as; FA Level 2 or 3 and Basketball Coaching Level 2, or 3
- At least 3 years previous experience of working with young people in a youth work setting (or equivalent)
- Experience of designing and leading sports related programmes
- Experience of delivering effective personal and social development working through group process and disengaged young people.
- Flexible approach as this position includes both face-to-face delivery during evenings and weekends
Benefits of working with us:
- Free use of our health and fitness wellbeing facilities
- 15% staff discount in our restaurant
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- A salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme
- Training and development opportunities
- Contributory group pension scheme
YMCA St Paul’s Group is an equal opportunities employer. We value the importance of diversity and positively welcome applications from all members of the community, including those with disabilities. As a responsible employer, we follow safer recruitment guidelines and will not accept a CV in lieu of a completed application form. The successful candidate will be expected to declare all previous offences and to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
YMCA St Paul’s Group is a Christian organisation and as an employee you will be required to respect its ethos and uphold its values.
For a full job description and an application pack, please visit our website at: http://www.ymcalsw.org/category/job-opportunities/
The closing date to complete this application is when the vacancy is filled.
Charity No: 1041923